A Jealous God

Discuss the Bible and specific Bible study topics in this forum.
grace
Forum Newbie

Jealous God: El Kanna (אֵ֥ל קַנָּ֖א)

“Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a Jealous God [El Kanna].” (Exodus 34:14)

Because God is Holy (kadosh) and has set apart His People to be holy (kadosh), He is jealous for His People.

The concept of jealousy in our culture is often associated with selfishness, distrust, and hostility.

Some even mistake jealousy and envy as one and the same thing; however, they are not identical.

Jealousy concerns a perceived challenge to one’s position.
In other words, you think someone is trying to take your position as husband, wife, friend or employee, and you want to prevent that from happening.

Envy is more malevolent. It often involves covetousness, and an “if I can’t have it, you can’t either” attitude.
God’s jealousy, in contrast to envy is rooted in justice, holiness and love.

It is a healthy, passionate, burning devotion for us and an insistence that He will not share His position, praise, or glory with another (Psalm 83:18). “I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols.” (Isaiah 42:8)

Marriage is reflective of the type of relationship that God desires to have with us: intimate and exclusive.
God desires an exclusive love relationship with His people; He does not want to share our love and attention with idols and other false gods (Exodus 20:3).

Deuteronomy 6:5 “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.”
Yeshua confirmed this when He was asked what the greatest commandment is.
“He answered, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, Love your neighbor as yourself.’” (Luke 10:27)

With all the distractions of this world pulling at us from every side, we may need to examine our hearts from time to time to see if our love has grown cold or if there is anything (or anyone) who has drawn the focus of our devotion away from the living God who is also known as El Kanna — The Jealous God.