CSB Ancient Faith Study Bible

Discuss the Bible and specific Bible study topics in this forum.
Striver
Site Admin

Picked this Bible up a little while ago.

I think it was Ed Stetzer who referred to the old Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) as the Hard Core Southern Baptist Bible. I heard chatter from a lot of folks that the original HCSB was just a way for Lifeway (slight pun intended) to maybe save some funds. It seems like a few years back we were under a bit of a Bible translation blitz as well.

With that said, I had some of the guys involved with the HCSB contact me on Twitter and I was able to appreciate that they were seeking feedback on it. The HCSB attempted to use God's proper name and some other tweaks, like slave over servant, to more accurately convey the meaning of the original manuscripts. I personally found these to be strengths, but the English behind the HCSB wasn't quite as flowing as the English in the NIV, for example. The HCSB placed itself just to the right of the NIV and closer to the formal equivalence spectrum of translation rather than dynamic equivalence.

Fast forward a little bit and the HCSB was rebranded the CSB (Christian Standard Bible).

I came across the CSB Ancient Faith Study Bible while randomly searching Study Bibles to see the latest and greatest.

I purchased a copy of the leathertouch version. I have to say, it's one of the best premium-feeling Bibles for a relatively affordable price. The text looks great and the text decoration adds a premium feel. I prefer that my Bible have a little style because it hearkens back to the medieval traditions of holding the Bible in high esteem. What's most important, though, are the notes. The notes at the bottom of this Study Bible are all taken from the early church fathers. I find this an interesting but solid move for a Baptist publishing house. The Bible includes blurbs from Irenaeus of Lyons, Origen, Justin Martyr, Tertullian, Clement of Alexandria, Augustine of Hippo, Athanasius of Alexandria, Jerome, the Cappadocian Fathers and others.

Now I would generally be classed as a Baptist, but I can appreciate this. I view it as a reasonable temper for me reading Scripture to look back and see what these pillars of the early church say. It has already helped me to open up the meaning of the text and see where someone at another time may have taken the text versus my own postmodern-informed view of the world. It's interesting to see the different points of emphasis.

If you're interested, I'd honestly recommend a look at the CSB Ancient Faith Study Bible (not an affiliate link).

I'd give it :D :D :D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D :D .