Jesus Didn’t Make the Gospel More Comfortable

A simple forum to discuss Jesus Christ, Christianity, and anything else pertaining to the faith we hold to be true. This is the forum to discuss all religious topics not covered in their own specific forum.
grace
Forum Newbie

Jesus Didn’t Make the Gospel More Comfortable and Neither Should We

CBN – A few years ago, I watched a televised debate between a prominent atheist and a well-known Christian leader. As they talked, I became increasingly alarmed as the Christian leader compromised the claims of Jesus Christ, one by one. He seemed to be trying to win the approval of the atheist—and the studio audience—by watering down the Gospel. It was embarrassing. The further this Christian leader retreated from a bold assertion of God’s truth, the more the audience booed and heckled him.

We call the Gospel of Jesus Christ “the good news.” But today’s post-Christian world does not view the Gospel as good news. Our message of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ is not popular in today’s world. Unfortunately, some Christians try to make Jesus more popular by compromising the truth. You cannot convert the world with a weak and compromised Gospel.

The message of the kingdom of God won’t win any popularity contests. But it is the truth, and we need the courage to defend God’s truth boldly and without compromise. We must stop chasing after the approval of this fallen world. Jesus never compromised the truth to win people over. He never soft-pedaled His message. Whenever Jesus introduced the Gospel, He always led with the high cost of being His follower. He always presented the Gospel in strong, even confrontational terms.

“Enter through the narrow gate,” He said in the Sermon on the Mount. “For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it” (Matt. 7:13–14).

He taught that our love for God must be all-consuming, not lukewarm or halfhearted. “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment” (Matt. 22:37–38).

He said that being a Christian demanded a radically different way of relating to other people, including our enemies: “But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” (Matt. 5:44).

Instead of offering promises of endless health and wealth and a Cadillac in the driveway, Jesus promised His followers a life of hardship and servanthood. “Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me’” (Matt. 16:24)

more: www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2021/april/jesus-didnt-make-the-gospel-more-comfortable-and-neither-should-we